Welcome to Library Lions interviews. Raising a Roar for Libraries

Welcome to Library Lions interviews. Raising a Roar for Libraries

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

THE DARING LIBRARIAN


Welcome to Library Lions interviews. We Raise a Roar for libraries and for the outstanding librarians serving children and young adults in schools and public libraries across the U.S. Please Roar today’s guest, Gwyneth Jones – AKA The Daring Librarian!


We’re so happy to have the Daring Librarian here with us today. Gwyneth’s many accolades include: Library Journal.com Innovator Movers &/Shakers of 2011, Edublog Awards Nominated Best Librarian Library Blog 2011, Nominated Best Individual Tweeter 2011. Here's her cool portfolio!


Gwyneth works at the Murray Hill Middle School (MHMS) in Laurel, Maryland

The Skinny
I love that every day is different! I love that I get to work with all three grades of my middle school and every subject and that they still laugh at my corny immature jokes. I love being a generalist and learning new things while I’m teaching different lessons, projects, and units. I also love my middle schoolers! They’re a wacky bunch but then so am I - they are so much fun! I love that they come back and visit me in high school, college, when they graduate and have even been invited to a wedding or two! These kids just make me happy & feed my soul!



 Library Laughs  
Oh gosh, there have been so many funny things happen almost every day here in the last 15 years it’s killin me to pick one. Gah! But here goes: I got brought in to take pics on this gag that took place in the classroom next to the library (close enough?) one of our 7th grade teachers is an identical twin and his twin lives in the midwest. Around Christmas he came to visit & was hiding out in the library until it was time for him to “appear” in his brother’s class. Of course I had to grab my camera - go into the class & pretend to fix the computer to catch all the surprised freaked out expressions of the kids. It was such a hoot!



A Lion’s Pride of Programs:
Our kids love QR Codes & mobile media. We have 2 iPod touch gen 4’s that we use for library scavenger hunts. More about it here at The Daring Librarian.com

We also love to be a gallery space for our Art Classes! Here are the sculptures inspired by the colorful Alebrije Mexican folk art sculptures of fantastical creatures.



Want to see more? Check out the Blog Post here! See blog & photos here! 

Readers Roar
Crowdsourced Reviews:
Using the power of Google Apps & forms our kids love to write book reviews! We keep at least one public access catalog computer available with our wikipage loaded for kids who want to read what other kids wrote about the books they enjoyed the most!
Andre, Grade 8 says he loves to come into the library “because it’s a cool place to be. I try and come every day I like to hang out and read and see my friends.  I can always find something to read. I like books like anime,  iSpy books and football books.  Ms. Jones and Mrs. Black always buy whatever I ask for” (Students can use the book request line on our wiki to request a book.)



Book Brag: What three books are hot this year? Why?

~Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins  - Can’t keep this series on the shelf this year - can’t figure out why!

~Skeleton Creek series by Patrick Carman. We were lucky enough to get a few signed copies of books & posters and we had a fun time with a Skeleton Creek tracker contest giving them out! Kids LOVE the interactive features of the book with the videos & downloadable apps that go along with the story!



~The Bluford High series by Anne Schraff  is very popular with my 8th grade girls (and boys!) They’re attracted to these urban dramas that explore popular teen issues in a realistic manner. And because the covers are cool!

Library Lion’s Roar: ONE LAST BIG ROAR
We had a great time co-teaching via Google hang out recently! We connected with Mrs. Mensing’s 2nd grade GT class in Arizona! Read all about it with pics here!



A Roar from us here at Library Lions to Gwyneth the Daring Librarian for her innovation! You can find so much just looking at her Daring Librarian Edublog



Let’s Link

Blog: The Daring School Library Blog

Library Website: MHMS Daring School Library Website

Thanks again for the terrific interview, Gwyneth!


Love Libraries? Give a Roar in “Comments” below.

Note to Librarians: If you’re a Youth Librarian working in a school or public library we’d love to hear about you and your library. Contact Janet at jlcarey@hotmail.com for an interview slot. 

2 comments:

  1. I was honored to be interviewed and included in your quality blog! Thank you!
    Cheers dear!
    ~Gwyneth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gwyneth,

    We love highlighting your amazing school programs and innovative blog! There was a lot to Roar for!!

    ~ Janet

    ReplyDelete